Biography

Hello, my name is Sarah Stanley. I am 24 years old and I'm classified as a Junior.
My major is K-6 Elementary Education and my ideal grades to teach are Kindergarten through 3rd,
the younger the better.

Image

Image

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Blog #6: K-State Video

Here is the link to the K-State Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGCJ46vyR9o 


Although this video is nearly 10 years old it is still very relevant in today’s educational system. At the beginning of the video when the camera shows the writing on the walls and desks my inner teacher cringed. It bothered me to think that the students were more focused on writing those messages that what was being taught in class. Later when the students in the classroom were showing the issues they had written down I could relate to most of them. For example the fact that they were going to have tens of thousands of dollars in debt by time they graduate with no sure way to earn enough to pay it back any time soon is all too relatable. Although, the education program at South does address that concern by placing us in schools where we can build rapport with professionals in the field. I’m sure other programs do something similar, but not to the same extent.
Another concern that was brought up was how many teachers require students to purchase hundred dollar textbooks that they never use. College kids are generally very strapped for cash at the best of times so adding that hefty expense is a real struggle. Many teachers realize this and are switching to online material that can better suit their subject matter. This is double appropriate because students of this generation are surrounded by technology and are more confortable with it’s use than traditional texts.

No comments:

Post a Comment